November 22nd, 2016
5 Tips for Eating Healthy Without Breaking The Bank
Sometimes after long days at work or running around with the kids, it can be difficult to eat healthy, especially on a budget. Here are some tips for eating healthy that won’t break the bank:
- Take Advantage of Sales. Sale ads typically come out weekly. Don’t hesitate to shop around for the best deals and visit a few stores to get the best deals. In addition to in store flyers, feel free to take advantage of the many apps for saving on grocery including store specific apps like Cellfire,Checkout 51, Coupon Sherpa, Favado, Ibotta, Grocery iQ, and Shopkick just to name a few. Also make sure to sign up for each store’s savings card or program. The savings can add up quickly.
- Freeze It/Can It. When fresh fruits and vegetables are in season go ahead and stock up and save it for later use by freezing them or canning them. You can buy supplies for freezing or canning and reuse them year after year.
- Never shop when you are hungry. Eat before you go shopping. Shopping on an empty stomach is the worst time to go shopping. Make a shopping list, set a budget, and stick to it to avoid making last minute impulse buys.
- Check Unit Prices. Don’t be fooled by the overall price of a product. Make sure to compare the actual unit price of similar products to get the best price.
- Plant Based Proteins. Take advantage of plant based proteins such as beans, chickpeas, lentils, dried peas and tofu as these are often available at a fraction of the cost of other proteins such as meat and fish.
Make sure to take advantage of these tips as you take the journey to eating healthy and saving money.